Time to share our worlds. Thanks Di for hosting. HERE are the rules & ping back.
1. Are you an early riser or late starter to the day? Early riser but not by choice. I’m naturally what you would refer to as a night owl.
2. Do you adopt Breakfast like a king, Lunch like a prince and Dine like a Pauper? Nope more like skip breakfast, quick lunch (unless it’s the weekend), and sensible dinner.
3. Do you have a sweet or savoury tooth? Both!!!
4. Would you prefer a hot relaxing bath or a massage (remember, family friendly people!)? Massage. I never had a massage until 2006 when I went to a weeklong conference & the coworker I was travelling with suggested that during our off hours, we take advantage of the massage & facial services at the Westin. It was then that I learned I had been missing out on one of the best experiences of my life. Kind of pricey so I do not partake often but since then, for special occasions like milestone birthday, etc, I found Isabella’s Day Spa. They have reopened but I’ve not been back since before the pandemic.
My gratitude this week: What has been the highlight of the past seven days for you? We celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary within the last 7 days. That was the highlight & something for which I am eternally grateful. I’ve found my lobster.
I forget what categories I used for my medical ranting. I’m putting this post under Share Your World & What Fresh Hell is This? I’m exaggerating though, the hell is stale, groundhog day variety hell. Not even remotely fresh but still pure D fuckery all the same. MoMo is back in the hospital. I have no idea what number of admissions she is on now. She can’t keep on this way though. Something’s gotta give.
She falls or slips or something. B, who is not a nurse, rushes over to pick her up. Big, strong guy, who can always lift her. But, he could hurt her too. Sometimes, you aren’t supposed to move people who have fallen. And it’s not that he doesn’t want to help her. He’s just not trained for providing the right kind of care. Jesus he’s been running over there in the middle of the night for going on two years. Not every night but enough times to know something must be done.
The EMT from this recent episode was an asshole. Sorry to be blunt. Not saying all EMTs are assholes but this guy talked to our PoPo like he was an idiot. Our PoPo is the most gentle, kind human being you’d ever meet. When God was passing out goodness, he gave PoPo a lion’s share. Why’d you even call me? EMT says. Her knee injury is obviously weeks old. What’s so urgent here? Well another MRI showed another stroke. That’s what’s so urgent asshole!
No status update beyond she’s admitted. For how long, no one knows. Sadly, her in the hospital is better for everyone. She is safe. At home, everyday/everynight was a gamble.
Di is standing in while Melanie continues to recuperate. Wishing her all the best. Here are my two cents worth 1/2 penny. If you’d like to join in, HERE are the rules & ping back.
1. If you were to go to a desert island and could only take five things with you, what would they be? This is where I wish I was more like MacGyver. Able to make something out of very little. Fresh drinking water, something for shelter, something for securing food, something to cook with, and something to record the experience.
2. What popular song (any era) best describes you? No way I could pick a single song even if I tried. I’m a renaissance woman. lol
3. If you could only use three basic ingredients to make a meal, what would they be? A protein, vegetable, & spice.
4. Do you allow your pet on the furniture? yes
It’s the start of a new week. What are you most looking forward to? The weekend! Haha. C’mon Friday at 5 o’clock somewhere 🙂
Di serves up the questions on Melanie’s behalf. I’m tossing in my two cents. If you too would like to join in, HERE are the rules & ping back.
1. Do you prefer tea, coffee or juice first thing in the morning? I haven’t drank juice in years though it once was a staple of my morning routine. I cut way back on coffee having one cup a week until recently. Now that I’m going back into the office, I “treat” myself bringing coffee along as a reward for doing something I’d rather not which is commute. There is nothing better than a cuppa tea I tell ya what. For self care, I drink tea to relax, more often in the evening than first thing in the morning.
2. When it comes to food, what is your favourite smell? Something baking in the oven especially if there is cinnamon in it.
3. Do you prefer a take-out or to dine in a restaurant? We used to dine out for special occasions in lieu of gift giving. The gift was enjoying a meal out with the company being way better than the food could ever be. Last week, we ate out as a family for the first time in over a year. We had a wonderful time, like riding a bike, we fell back into old familiar patterns. Take-out is more trouble than it’s worth to me. Guess that means I prefer dining out.
4. If you are hosting a party, do you prepare the food yourself, get caterers in or ask everyone to bring something for the table? The only caterer we ever used was for our wedding reception many moons ago. Depends on what the occasion but mostly we prepare ourselves. B is a good cook because he uses all my recipes. haha. When we used to host the Christmas gathering, we prepared the turkey & dressing while everyone else brought a side dish or dessert.
Gratitude: What has been the highlight of your week this week? The epiphany I had on a personal growth level to bring me some long overdue peace. I hope the lesson sticks. I know that’s being vague but I’d have to write a novel to explain further. Let’s just say this when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. Oh how cliche’ but true. No more assumptions. I’ll be trying my damndest to stop MSU = making stuff up as well. Nothing & I mean absolutely nothing is ever as it seems.
Di is standing in for Melanie. We’re wishing Melanie continued healing. My two cents worth 1/2 a penny follow. 😀
1. Which of the following could you do without? TV, Computer, Mobile Phone. Well seeing as my mobile phone is really all three things, unless it’s cheating, I could actually do without the TV and the computer. Sure the screen is tiny, but that’s OK.
2. Do you have a lot of old photographs in a box, or did you put them in albums? Both. Lulu, my daughter did a little clean up to fill two empty albums. We still have a few small shoeboxes with loose photos and would need to buy more albums to finish up.
3. What was the first thing you bought for yourself when you started work? Clothes back when I cared about fashion 😂
4. What is the biggest thing you have bought that did not require finance? Our Polaris Ranger – off road utility terrain vehicle. We’d been saving up for purchase in full since interest rates aren’t competitive for these types of vehicles.
GRATITUDE. In the immortal words of Kenny Rogers, know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em. Lol 😂 I too am grateful for those people who came into my life and made it outstanding. I’m equally grateful for knowing when to walk away & when to run.
Speaking of running, I’ll take this cue and skeedaddle.
Di is guest host for Melanie this week & for a little while. Wishing Melanie continued healing. Take a look HERE for the rules and ping back. Check out the other entries while you’re there.
1. Do you have family photographs on display in your main living room? We do. The entryway table. We also have two curio cabinets, one on each side of the TV. All with assorted family photos. But as I look right now, they’re from years ago. Been a long while since we printed & framed photos. My favorite is of B, his dad, and his brother at our wedding reception in 1984. The Dub men look good in tuxedos even when it’s end of the festivities & the ties came off. Except for the groom of course who continued through the torture of being in a complete monkey suit.
2. What was the best vehicle you owned? This could be a pushbike as a kid, your first car, a motor cycle, or something else. My 2007 Chevrolet Impala SS. Aka the Snoop Dogg mobile. Snoop was in their commercial that year. La-da-da-da-dah. La-da-da-da-dah. It’s the best because it was my first car that had heated seats & satellite radio. Made my commute to work much better.
3. Did you pass your driving test first time? Nope. Two was the charm. Who puts a stop sign in the middle of a parking lot as a “test” to wanna be new drivers? The DMV on S. New Braunfels, that’s who. Immediate fail too. The instructor said most people at least do a “California stop”. Me? I missed that there was a stop sign completely. To be fair, I was watching for other cars. I promise.
4. Does loud music from a neighbour or passing cars annoy you? Our neighbors are too far away that we can’t hear their music blasting & they can’t hear ours. As far as a passing car, that’s no bother because soon enough, you’ve passed on by.
Gratitude: What has made you smile over the last seven days? Pony. I took advice from my sometimes surly 34 year old son. He was positive though! And his words rang true. He used some choice examples to help me get over myself. I’m smiling now just thinking about what he told me. That son of mine. He’s a sweetheart.
Di is standing in for Melanie until she’s better. Sending well wishes to our Sparky. My two cents worth 1/2 a penny follow.
1. Do you prefer to live in a single story property like a bungalow, a high rise apartment, or a house? I’m happy we’re we’re at. A single story ranch on some acreage. Very peaceful. There’s no place like home 🏡
2. If you won a large amount of money on the lottery, would you want publicity or keep things quiet and low key? Quiet & low key. Money makes people act a fool.
3. How do you like your eggs? (No, this is not a trick question) Any way but over easy which I used to like too but there’s a not so funny story about why I stopped liking eggs 🍳 cooked that way.
4. If cars were no longer available, what would be your choice of transport? Once I figured it out, I really liked getting around on the subway. Of course I don’t live where a subway is practical. I guess back to bicycle 🚲 or if we’re playing imagination 💭 I’d love to be like Jeannie or Samantha & pop up places just by thinking about it.
Gratitude: Our aim is to make at least one person smile every day. That’s a worthy goal & I try to do that daily. We can always use more smiles & laughter.
Typically Tuesday is when I share my world. But yesterday there was no prompt post from Melanie a.k.a. Sparky. I worried of course because you can set your watch to how punctual and reliable she is. Fandango put out a call to see if anyone had heard from her. This morning there’s an answer that she’s in the hospital and being cared for. Di had been given the greenlight to share with us.
Too much hospitals lately. My mother-in-law was in the hospital then rehab now home. My brother was in the hospital and now he is home. And then I learned of Melanie today. In the case of my mother-in-law and my brother I believe both were released prematurely. But that’s what we call “healthcare” in America today. It’s an insurance company that determines when you’re ready to go home. Not the doctors. I hope our dear Sparky has a different experience. I believe it varies widely on geography and insurance status. Such a racket.
On a positive note we got substantial rain yesterday. Very grateful 😇. I was reminded of rainy days as a kid. We would rearrange the living room furniture and move the coffee table up to the big picture window. And we sit there and color while watching the storm. If there was no lightning and just rain, we would go run around in the yard. Dashing on and off the front porch. When we eventually came in, mom would have warm towels fresh out of the dryer for us to dry off with. Such a comforting feeling and a lovely memory with which to end this post.
We’d all be so lucky to have a Fandango in our life, to check on us when we’re missing. Some days I wonder if anyone would even notice me being gone. And I know at least a few would … my fearsome trio, B & the kiddos. For that, I’m fortunate ☺️ and eternally grateful.
Melanie is hosting this shindig. When I see ‘dog days’ of summer, cue Florence + the Machine. Now I have an earworm but oh well, let the games begin. I’ve no idea what happened to the default font. I would never pick this tiny text because it’s too small for my already sight challenged eyes.
Do you ever feel more excited about getting the package in the mail, rather than the item that’s in it? Not anymore but as a kid, sure. Very exciting to get mail period.
What is the difference between your ideal self and your real self? (i.e. what attribute or physical feature would allow you feel the ideal ‘you’?) I’m as ideal as I’m going to get. And my ideal self is about anything BUT physical features. Instead my wicked sense of humor (said in a Boston accent of course) and my sparkling yet snark-a-licious personality are IDEAL. LOL. What you see is what you get. I’m as real as I’ll ever be too. Finally, only took me 50+ years to say screw that noise.
If you found $2,000 on the ground and there were no witnesses, what would you do with it? Try and find the rightful owner. I know what you’re saying. Sure Jilly, wink wink but I would & I have, not 2K but a couple hundred.
Are you ever morally obliged to take action? Under what circumstances? Oh good questions. What if taking action puts me in harms way? Who would a take a bullet for in other words or who would I drown trying to save? Hmm, decisions, decisions. Part of me says I didn’t sign up for any of the sH!t. The other part of me would react. I’m a fairly expressive person who would try and render aid or lend a helping hand.
GRATITUDE SECTION Please feel free to share how last week went for you. Bright or not so bright spots? Not good at all but of my own doing. Maybe? That really remains to be seen. I was as riled up as I’ve ever been & I cried like a baby. I’m an emotional mess trying to figure out some personal stuff. After a few nights to sleep on what happened that spun me outta control, I see things with fresh eyes. And like my nephew in love tells me “the story is never finished until it is finished” I was mourning a death that didn’t occur … yet. Though my spidey sense tells me the death has already occurred & it is metaphorical. Dang y’all, I thought I’d cried all I was going to cry but what is happening hurts which means I am boo-hooing all over again. Ugh! Enough. To turn this frown upside down, you too get an earworm.
Melanie provides the questions & I toos in my two cents, worth 1/2 a penny due to inflation.
What mythical creature would improve the world most if it existed? A fairy who could make pain disappear. Not just physical pain but mental anguish too.
Should the death penalty be re-instated? Why or why not? In Texas, we have the death penalty & the distinction of being #1 executing on average 12 people a year. I’m not quite sure how I feel about that. Makes me sad, I guess. Very, very sad that there isn’t another alternative.
Spontaneity Or Stability? Depends on the situation, mostly I crave stability & fortunately I hit the jackpot with that but every once in a while to be spontaneous is exciting. My goal one day, if I ever get my head on straight again, would be to get on an airplane to anywhere with only my purse. I could buy what I need when I get there or better yet go somewhere that doesn’t require me to need very much. If only, …
Can a dog/cat suffer? What about an ant? What about a plant? What about a bacteria cell? Why do some humans think we’re the only species that does suffer? Your thoughts? Yes a dog or cat can suffer. As for ants, plants, or bacteria cells, I have no idea. Humans are one of the most egotistical of the species which is why some of us (not all) think we’re the only ones who suffer.
What are two things that have brightened your day today? First, I accidentally slept past the alarm. I quit snoozing after reading an article that said I’d feel better if I just got up with the alarm. Going on two years now, I just get the “eff” up. Today after a bad yesterday & for reasons that will be kept under wraps, I said ‘eff’ it, I’m going to snooze today. Only I hit stop on my alarm instead of snooze. Oh well, I got an extra hour!! I must’ve needed it. Second, I learned a trick for a new tool at work where you right click to open a tab in a new window then you can toggle back and forth. This tip will make for smooth sailing on an upcoming assignment.