Now this is classic! Haha 😆
Thanks Melanie for hosting this wonderful forum. Follow this link to see all of the participants’ responses. Let’s get this party started 🙂
Where do you feel most at home? Please be more specific than “at home, doh” please. It could be a room in your home, a person, a location… In my bedroom, sans all the technology that occupies the space outside those four walls. Which is like a cocoon and respite from the real world. Especially during the winter. With flannel pjs, fluffy socks, and a good book. There was a time in my life where for too long, I “took to my bed”. I powered through the work week collapsing into the weekend. I don’t do that anymore thank goodness. When I look back, I don’t even recognize that person.
Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car? Ride a bike. I have ridden a horse once or twice and doing so made me anxious. I hate driving a car. Too many years of traffic and long commutes ruined driving for me. The only good thing about driving is the music from the car radio.
What song would you sing on “Karoke Night” (if you were forced to do so)? That’s a tough one. I have too many favorites. I’d pick from the list of available songs like throwing a dart at the board. Whatever I get, I get. Hold your ears!
University or life experience, which do you feel best prepares you for life? Why life of course. Theory (university) and practice (life). One could argue that university is life though. Hmmm, how about all experience best prepares you for life?
IT’S AN ATTITUDE – GRATITUDE! (Participation Always Optional Of Course)
What are you grateful for? The beautiful park like setting on which we reside. B was on the tractor all weekend. He left the red lilies in the field, shredding around them then carefully weed-whacking in between them. We’ve made plans to plant wild flowers. October to February is prime planting season or so we hear.
Where is the time going? she asked rhetorically. Time waits for no one. The volume at which life passed her eyes was staggering. To survive, she searched for light in the darkness. The she is me. Inspired by Ruth Bader Ginsburg. May her memory be a blessing.
#WATWB is a blog hop on the last Friday of every month. Here are the intention and rules. In darkness, be light. Adding Eric Lahti, Roshan Radhakrishnan , Shilpa Garg, Peter Nena and Sylvia Stein who are our hosts for this month.
As always more to come.
This time I found something with corny right in it.
Ba-dum-tis! I know, don’t quit my day job.
To the rules and ping back!!!!!
Happy Wednesday everyone 🙂
Roger’s Magical, Mystical Questions:
- Have you ever driven the wrong way on a one-way street? How did this come about? Not as a driver but as a passenger. Oh my! We were in Galveston for my nephew’s wedding and driving to the venue. The hotel was off the Strand which has a lot of foot traffic. Somehow we got turned. My dad missed the do not enter sign and my brother was screaming at him to turn around!! Pedestrians were everywhere on the side walk but fortunately no vehicles were driving towards us. I still feel anxiety thinking about it. But as dad always said “no harm done, it could’ve been worse”
- As a kid, did you ever decide to run away? Did you have a plan? Take a pet? Sandwiches? No. How boring!
- You suddenly found you have a hidden talent for playing a musical instrument. What musical instrument do you hope that accompanies your talent? Any particular song? I always wanted to learn to play the piano. No particular song. My musical tastes vary.
- Do you accessorize with jewelry? There was an opal necklace (cursed) and Slytherin’s locket (also cursed) in the Potter story. Have you had any heirloom jewelry passed down through the generations? Is it more ‘keepsake’ or do you wear it on occasion? (Hopefully, yours was not cursed? I only wear my wedding band. I used to wear earrings and a watch. Though I have not done so for a very long time. Pre-Covid … meaning my lack of adornment has nothing to do with moving to stay at home/work from home & social distancing. As an heirloom I do have my mother’s class ring, engagement ring, and wedding band. I never wear these items any longer though back in the day, I would put the rings on for special occasions.
Melanie’s Ordinary Muggle Questions:
What ingredients go into YOUR favorite salad? Cobb salad or any kind of salad that is “loaded”. The salad bar at work was exceptional. Salads are so much better when someone does all the prep work.
If you care to, share something that really irritates you. Not much the older I get. I am nervous and neurotic but rarely irritated.
What are your favorite ‘lounging around the house’ items of clothing? Sweats, t-shirt, no socks or shoes except when the weather turns colder, then socks or house shoes are a must!! Now that a lot of people ‘lounge around the house’ waiting for the all clear in respect to Covid being shown the door, have those lounging items changed? Nope, same lounging items.
GRATITUDE (as always this is optional) Grateful for all that I have which is plentiful. Life is good 🙂
Please feel free to share something about Autumn (or Spring if you’re gearing up for that) that you especially enjoy! We don’t have an Autumn in my neck of the woods. I swear we used to when I was a kid but temp changes/global warming/etc. has changed our seasons. I vividly remember running around outside in late August/early September where the grass under my feet would feel cooler as we inched toward fall. I am grateful for any cool down which we’ve had recently thankfully. The talk around these parts go something like this … “maybe we’ll get a fall this year” or “I hope it is not like last year where fall and winter skipped past us” … you get the drift. 😉
Hats off to all you Simon & Garfunkel fans. I may have snorted when I saw this one. Reminiscent of Rush’s “Spirit of the Radio” too.
To join in, here are the rules and ping back.
Roger’s Magical, Mystical Questions:
- You have just been gifted a magic wand that specializes in completing household chores. You can request the completion of only two household chores. Which chores would you assign your wand to complete? Sweep & mop which I guess is two despite me wanting to combine as a single activity.
- At the local Wizards-R-Us store there was a sale on handshake shockers, instant darkness pellets, and levitation pills. Which of these ‘party thrillers’ are you more likely to purchase? Levitation pills. I imagine that taking those pills might be like floating in water for an awesome weightless feeling. Lately the weight of the world is heavy on our shoulders. Any levity would be much appreciated.
- In the alley behind Wizards-R-Us, there was a tradesman selling a Love Potion. The sales pitch was too much for you and you yielded and purchased one vial. What do you do with it? Spread it into the atmosphere. “What the world needs now is love sweet love” as the song says 🙂
- You are the Great Clearinghouse Winner of a new ‘good luck’ potion – Felix Felicis. It has to be used within the next thirty days or its potency becomes diminished. Do you use it? Do you give it to a friend in need? I’d give it to my daughter to use in her job search which is going dismally by the way. She is not being a typical millennial either. She expects an entry level start at the bottom job and fully understands it will be outside her “field”. Each week, Monday to Friday, eight hour work days because that is what Dr. Phil says someone out of work should do, she is looking for work. Resume writing, virtual career fairs, etc…. After 47 rejections and several no responses, she is defeated. Today she is taking a mental health day, then back at it tomorrow.
Melanie’s Mundane Muggle Questions:
- If everyone spoke their mind, would this world be a better or worse place? Depends Why? Some things are better left unsaid and everyone speaking their mind could create a cacophony of nonsense and/or a civil war. However speaking in innuendo lacks the needed clarity to get things done. Sweeping things under the rug only creates a lumpy trip hazard. Maybe this is like the proverb – From listening comes wisdom, and from speaking repentance. Of course there is nothing to listen to unless someone speaks. Which comes first chicken or egg …. Ah nuts! I have confused myself. lol
- Can achieving nothing make a person happy? Yes! I achieve nothing daily and I am happy for the most part.
- How do you know if you love someone enough to marry them? Great question. Tomorrow we celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary. I would say love isn’t enough. Instead mutual respect and common beliefs are a better indicator of whether you should marry.
GRATITUDE SECTION (as always this is optional) I am grateful that the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and it’s another day in paradise.
Can’t get much sillier than this meme. For all you Star Wars fans. Chewie!!!
To join in, here are the rules and ping back.
Roger’s Magical, Mystical Questions:
- What happened to cause you to discover ‘bullies” were real? Wow, out of the gate with a deep question. My brother who is 11 months older than me is special needs. Because of this I have never known a life without bullies. Sad but true. Some of my earliest recollections were of people making fun of him.
- Eavesdropping- When given the chance, how often do you eavesdrop? (this may be a similar question to what some folks said they’d do with an invisibility cloak) In my younger days, I would try and find out what was going on no matter what. This meant I spent a lot time outside many a closed door straining to hear what was being said on the other side. Now that I am older I realize being out of the loop is a much better than being in the know. Ignorance is bliss or some such sentiment.
- Escalators, at one time, were the ‘next big thing’. When was the last time you rode an escalator? Friday March 6, 2020. My last day in the office. The mother-ship rivals the size of the Pentagon. Connected buildings A to H with Ops and M. Three floors and a service level. All with escalators. To get my healthy points, I often took the stairwell but as I was leaving for Spring Break, my hands were full which meant the escalator was a safer option. Not safe mind you, just safer. That day I should have taken the elevator but patience is not my thing. I’d rather brave a tumble down the moving stairs. Rebel that I am. If we ever get to go back, I am going to ride those elevators with abandon!!
- Have you ever ‘let’ someone win in a sports competition or a board game? How did it turn out? No I am a horribly competitive person who wants to win. I take my licks too. Win or lose fair and square is my preference.
Melanie’s Muggle Questions:
I’m very short on time today (Sunday) so I’m borrowing from Rory and Sandmanjazz to fill the questions today:
Do our fears start with our DNA? (Credit to Rory) Interesting question but I’m going with no. Fears are not genetic but rather learned in my humble very non-scientific opinion.
If you could have your hair any colour for 24 hours, what colour would you choose? (Credit to Sandmanjazz) It’s rightful gray without the colored reddish brown ends that I plan to cut off just as soon as it is safe to go out again. I’d never forgive myself if I contracted COVID and/or brought it home to my family for something as vain as my hair.
When do you think a person gets old? (Credit to Rory) Well when I was 18, old was in your 30s. Now in my 50s, I’d say old is a state of mind. Actually, I’ve been old all my life. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Funny story. My friend Melissa and I played volleyball. The summer after senior year we were out of sorts with nothing to do. Volleyball had always filled the void. She found a church team for us to join and I’ll never forget her begging me to go with her. “Jill you have to sign up too; they are all old … like in their 30s”. Gasp! <the horrors> Now I have a 32 year old son.
Gratitude Moment: Realizing this too shall pass when in the thick of “it” whatever “it” might be brings me peace. And for that peace, I am grateful. Now if I can just remember that for next time things get rocky.
Many local regions, especially rural areas where I live, have haunted houses. Have you ever spent the night in a house that was supposedly haunted? Anything ‘strange” happen? I’ve never spent the night in a haunted house but I’m aware of the urban legends around this place. The Gillespie mansion aka midget mansion, the donkey lady, and the ghost children who push your car over the train tracks.
The Quidditch Cup (riding broomsticks while chasing a small ball) was a huge sporting event in the land of Hogwarts. What is the largest sporting event (or concert, etc.) that you have ever attended? Ozzfest 2004. I took Pony and some of his friends as his 16th birthday present. Four stages, all day event, more bands than I could count. Aaahhh now that’s the best!!
When you go for a swim, do you prefer an ocean, the seaside lakes, or a pool? Not sure what a seaside lake is but I prefer lakes to ocean or pool.
Ron Weasley received a horrid robe to wear as formal wear to the Christmas dance at Hogwarts. Tell about the most ‘ghastly’ fashion statement that you have ever made. I’m not a fashionista. Fashion that I’m glad has gone away … pantyhose and heels … they suck.
Now the muggle questions
What is the last song you sang along to? Close To You sung by Karen Carpenter.
What was your scariest nightmare about? I don’t remember my dreams much any more though I used to be fascinated with the meaning of dreams. I can’t remember the last time I had a nightmare. Death specifically dying from cancer is my biggest “awake” nightmare.
What food do you crave most often? I’ve never met a food I didn’t like. My cravings tend to be salty/savory. Chips or french fries with a donut chaser. 😆
What’s your grossest bug story? Bugs are cool not gross.
I’m grateful my life has laughter in it.