We used to collect candles. The original aroma therapy. Vanilla was and remains my favorite scent. However, years have passed since we have burned candles.
Some contributing factors are:
- One of B’s many accidents was when he severed a tendon in his left hand while removing wax from a candleholder with a steak knife.
- I am in the insurance business. Accidental fire by unattended candle as cause of loss is not as uncommon as one may think. Personally I know of two families whose homes burned because of a candle. In one a feline swinging its tail or swatting its paw bumped the candle. In the other, a candle burning in the guest bathroom was left too close to a curtain. No fatalities thank goodness.
- I read too much stuff, stupid stuff and I am a suspicious gullible person (oxymoron not be confused with moron). I read the wicks of today’s candles have some sort of cancer causing filament. Immediately after reading the article, I started sneezing. Ah-choo, Ah-choo, Ah-choo and no more candles.
However 9/10/17 is National Suicide Prevention day and we will be showing our support. I dusted off our remaining candles and we will light them at 8 pm tonight. B has asked me twice now … I thought you were lighting the candles.
And I will. For no one is immune. Seems everyone knows someone, who knows someone, who knows someone else. And though your connection may be far removed or even at this time unknown, perhaps you will join us?
As always, more to come.