My Loud Bipolar Whispers... hope
- Schizophrenia a serious mental illness that can be disabling without care.
- About 1% of Americans have it.
- People with the condition may hear voices, see imaginary sights, or believe other people control their thoughts.
- These sensations can frighten the person and lead to erratic behavior.
- Although there is no cure, treatment can usually manage the most serious symptoms.
- It is not the same as multiple personality disorder.
- Hallucinations: hearing or seeing imaginary things
- Delusions: wildly false beliefs
- Paranoia: the fear that others are plotting against you
- Some signs, such as lack of enjoyment in everyday life and withdrawal from social activities, may mimic depression.
Who Gets Schizophrenia
- Anyone can.
- It’s equally common among men and women and among ethnic groups.
- Symptoms usually start between ages 16 and 30.
- It tends to begin earlier in men than in women.
- Schizophrenia rarely starts during childhood or after age 45.
View original post 780 more words